Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cooking Adventure: Mmm Mmm Applesauce!!!

When I was a little rugrat, we often went to my grandma's house just one state over and ate the most delicious home-cooked foods around. One of my particular favorites is applesauce and there is nothing quite like Grandma's applesauce warm off the stove and into the middle of a fresh baked roll. As a result, I'm pretty picky when it comes to the applesauce I eat. Mussleman's is pretty good but I learned this holiday season that the generic in a can is a definite no-go in the book of Lori. 


Fortunately my Mom-in-Law got me this cookbook for Christmas. 1400 Crockpot Recipes. Hole-E-Bovine.


Fortunately we got a Crockpot for our Wedding and it has been safely in storage for the past year.


So now I'm trying my hand at a favorite dish and seeing if it comes out edible. Hopefully it will be delicious and worth the hassle. Since I love looking at all the pictures Pioneer Woman puts on her blog when she cooks, I decided to do the same. 


Crockpot lids are handy for holding cookbooks open!
8 apples, 1/2 cup of water, Cinnamon, and 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar depending on how you roll.
Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer $20 at Bed Bath & Beyond. Definitely a life saver for times like these.
Toaster not needed.


I mixed together the water, sugar & cinnamon first so that way the apples could be getting covered with some juiciness instead of turning brown.

The art of lining up the apple core perfectly. Makes the rest of the process super fast!

Just spin, spin, spin away. When the core starts going through is when it might start acting up, but then it gets back on track.

Presto chango - All the peel on the plate, the core still on the thing-a-muh-jig and a sliced apple ready to become...

A chopped apple!

In to the pot to keep them pretty.

Stir em up with a spatula so as not to scrape the stoneware,
set on low and go on with the rest of your day/night.
For me it was about 8PM when I started getting everything ready and 8:50PM when I took the last picture. Tomorrow I'll get to wake up to a house smelling like apple-y-goodness which will hopefully lead to a good day back at work :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment