Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Vinegaroo

Recently, my sister started a blog called "Leah Can Cook!" which is AWESOME since I can't ever think of anything to cook for dinner. My darlin' husband suggested I write a blog too, but about all the joys of living in the country that just don't come up when we're living in the city. 

So today's adventure - Vinegaroon. Consult Wikipedia - the source of all quick knowledge. I call it a Venegaroo since I forgot what it was after I found the last one. I killed it, thinking it was a scorpion, but after looking closer, we realized that the dogs killed it and that it's actually harmless, so they got added to the "no-kill" list along with Gopher Snakes. Ick. 

Meet Joon. She's some sort of terrier that showed up about a year ago and is a combination of duck, wiggle worm, and blood thirsty hunter. She goes after just about everything which isn't bad when its a frog or bug or something simple, but recently she took out 6/7ths of a skunk litter, but that will be another post. 

Today, I heard her barking like a maniac and went outside to see what it was. At first I thought it was a giant tarantula which would have pretty much ruined my day. I hate getting anywhere near them. Luckily it was a Vinegaroon. I remembered that it was on the "no kill" list and that my husband told me to blog about this kind of stuff. So after getting the blog all set up and researching Wikipedia. I realized I didn't get a picture. Back out to the yard to find it, and right when I was about to give up, I found it by the front steps. 

Note the giant whip at the end and its deceptive pincers that make you think it's a scorpion at first. Deceptive little brat. But the picture was taken, the blog was written, and now I can do something productive. Yay. 

If there is anyone reading this, I have previous adventures to write about including...
-walking a horse
-rattle/bull snakes
-skunk week
-squirrels


1 comment:

  1. Lori, you're so funny! I'm so excited that you have a blog now, and I'm pleased to report that I'm your first official follower :)

    ReplyDelete